Dandruff is the shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp. As skin cells die, a small amount of flaking is normal; about 487,000 cells/cm2 get released normally after detergent treatment. … Most cases of dandruff can be treated with specialized shampoos. Dandruff is a kind of skin disorder that affects the scalp. Dandruff is a condition in which white, dry flakes of dead skin are shed from the scalp. Normally dead skin cells are shed from the scalp, but it results in dandruff only when the scalp starts shedding thick layers of these dead skin particles. Seborrheic dermatitis or Seborrhoea is a disorder of the sebaceous glands which affects the scalp. Seborrhoea produces severe dandruff and a red, itchy scalp. Dandruff rarely causes hair loss or baldness. However, severe seborrheic dermatitis may cause patchy baldness.
Precautions to be taken by those who have dandruff
There are certain precautions that should be taken by a person suffering from dandruff. Following these simple things could avoid contagion of dandruff.
- Avoid using combs used by other people. Especially, when a person is suffering dandruff, never use his/her comb. Dandruff is highly contagious.
- If you are suffering from dandruff and if you are using an anti dandruff shampoo, make sure you wash your comb every time after using the shampoo.
- Pay attention to the cleanliness of your hair. Make sure you take care of your hair and maintain it clean and healthy. Following a hygiene and healthy hair care regime can keep away dandruff to a great extend.
- Shampoo at least once a week. While washing your hair, avoid the water from your hair dripping down your face as it may cause pimples.
- Do not allow your hair to remain wet for a long time. Leaving the scalp wet for a long time facilitates growth of dandruff.
- Egg shampoo can be prepared by beating 2 or 3 eggs with a little water in it. Apply this mixture on the hair after wetting the hair and massage the scalp for sometime. Let this remain on the hair for sometime before washing it off with water. This treatment is very effective in preventing dandruff.