(Male Breast Reduction Surgery)
Male breast reduction surgery removes excess breast tissue, fat and sagging skin that lead to the appearance of breast enlargement in men. Gynecomastiais a condition which primarily involves accumulation of glandular tissue, fatty tissue and excessive growth of skin leads to feminine type looks of breast.
Types Of Gynecomastia
Neonatal Gynecomastia – In Neonates breast enlargement is caused due to the influence of maternal sex hormones. Adolescent Gynecomastia – Breast enlargement during the period of puberty due to the hormonal imbalance Senile Gynecomastia – During old age circulation of female sex hormone predominates causes breast enlargement in males.
Good candidates are men of any age who demonstrate good physical and emotional health. Candidates who refrain from using tobacco products, marijuana, anabolic steroids, or excessive alcohol. Candidates who tried to correct the issue through proper exercise or weight loss regimens. Candidates who have a healthy body mass index and firm, elastic skin that will adapt well to the body’s new contours.
- Low level of androgens or sex hormones such as testosterone, LH
- High levels of estrogens or female hormones
- Drugs such as antibiotics, antidepressants, diuretics
- Use of anabolic steroids to gain large and bulky muscles
- High level of prolactin, a hormone responsible for producing milk in females,
- Certain narcotics such as marijuana, heroin
- Genetically due to klinefelter’s syndrome
- Diet loaded with fat and lipids
- Hypogonadism – small testes/ unable to produce enough hormones
- Rare causes – cancer of testis, breast, liver cirrhosis
- Hyperthyroidism – It helps in retaining more fluid in body
Gynecomastia Surgery is performed under general anesthetic. The type of gynecomastia surgery depends on the type of tissue that needs to be removed. Glandular tissue is removed through Excision techniques where glandular breast tissue or excess skin must be removed to correct gynecomastia. Excision is also necessary if the areola will be reduced, or the nipple repositioned to a more natural male contour Fatty tissue is removed with liposuction, which uses a cannula (thin tube) to vacuum away the unwanted deposits through small incisions. After the procedure a small, thin tube may be temporarily placed under the skin to drain any excess blood or fluid that may collect.
- After the surgery, you will need to wear a pressure garment constantly for one to two weeks, and for a few additional weeks at night, to minimize swelling & support your new chest contour.
- After the procedure, patient likely to feel a little discomfort in raising your hands & feel mild stiffness and pain in chest which will subside within 2-3 days.
- Patient will be given specific instruction to care the surgical site & medication to make comfortable.
- All the normal office type activities can be resumed after 2-3 days while the heavy physical activities will be restricted for 4-6 weeks.
Results may not be immediately visible due to swelling, but this will diminish over time to reveal your new profile